Friday, January 29, 2010

Layered and Pink?

During the renovation of the little yellow house, we have peeled off layers and layers of different siding, wallpaper, drywall, carpet, flooring, etc. In one room we discovered a fabulous pink patterned wallpaper that has me thinking pink for my new bedroom! (E and mom just rolled their eyes at me, of course!)

What do you think?



















I don't know what it is, but I love it! The trouble is, I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to painting a whole room that shade of pink, and I'm not sure how to incorporate just part of it. If I were to paint/stencil just one wall of my bedroom, what color would you paint the other three walls? Plain white? A darker pink matching the stenciling? A lighter pink?

While browsing the internet, I found this image at Desire to Inspire. What I love about it is that the pink is so contained without strict lines. The different patterns and shades of pink are tied in from the poster down to the rug and it feels very rich and indulgent without feeling overwhelming.
















What it all boils down to is this: how do I make the color from the wallpaper remnants work without getting too over-the-top little girl Barbie? How can I make pink work in a grown-up room?

2 comments:

  1. light gray perhaps? i feel like i just read an article about decorating with the color red. in real simple perhaps? maybe this will help: http://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/decorating/decorating-with-red-00000000028424/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. save scraps of that wallpaper and use them to mat pictures. or go with browns/creams & use pink as an accent!

    ReplyDelete